Sunday, 2 November 2014

Finally Hunting

Well we have had quite a couple of weeks. Not quite sure where to start, I have been busy playing with my gun collection but first let’s talk muzzle loaders. We bought muzzle loaders a few years ago but never actually used them so after my shoulder surgery and not being to hold my bow at draw we thought maybe we should try out the muzzle loading thing to extend our hunting season as rifle season is only two weeks and we have to shoot a buck with antlers more than 4 inches this year.
Last weekend we sighted in our muzzle loaders and learned how to use them. This weekend we hunted for the first time with the muzzle loaders. We never had an opportunity to take a shot but it was great to get out hunting again.
It was a hard week waiting to go back up but I have been suitably preoccupied with my rifle collection, additions and subtractions. I first decided to let go of my 308 – I bought the rifle last fall with the idea I might use it for a tree stand rifle and never even fired it. Gave up on the model 7 260 experiment and I ended up buying a Marlin 3030 as I have always loved a lever action bush rifle. 

I do have an affliction with highly accurate flat shooting stainless steel rifles as well. I do have a couple of blued rifles, a 243 carbine Noah is using, and of course the 3030. To replace the 308 I bought a Savage Weather Warrior in 270 WSM. I had a savage 270 WSM last year and foolishly let it go, it was a super accurate rifle and fun to shoot so I am hoping the stainless model with the improved stock will be even better.


The Savage 270 WSM


I have also been daydreaming about having a high quality rifle in the nearly extinct calibre of 7 mm WSM. I have had a thing for 7 mm Magnum rifles ever since I bought my own first center fire rifle, I have had many over the years (a disease I inherited from my father according to Mom) but not a 7 mm WSM – I love the idea of having the 7 mm Magnum performance in a short action non-belted cartridge. The idea that it is such a ballistic treat but yet not embraced is hard to comprehend. Many writers tend to blame it on the “American” effect – if it is named in a metric convention it will not sell, yet the standard 7mm Rem mag does quite well year after year. I think it has more to do with mass media, the writers that “know everything” and write like they do have much more influence than common sense or useful application. The idea that improving a cartridge from a belted long semi efficient cartridge case to a short un-belted cartridge case that is more efficient and equally useful.  A lot of words to say I found one I really like so I snagged it and sold my 708AI. The 708AI is a great rifle but is has largely been supplanted by my 260 Rem in a Tikka stainless Hunter that will literally shoot one hole groups with 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets. 

The Winchester Classic in 7mm WSM

The Winchester Classic in 7mm WSM










The Tikka T3
So enough about my toys, we went up to camp Friday night and arrived just after dark. It was quite cold and windy so we lit the fire and made supper. Up early and out for our first hunt of the year. It really seemed like we had gone a year without hunting as confusion reined but we got out there. I spooked three deer on my way in and we never saw another one that day or Sunday morning. The wind was very harsh, actually shaking the camp Friday night and remained high until after 5 pm Saturday.

Sunday morning brought cool crisp air, just a breathe of wind and nothing but squirrels and bluejays making a racket. Oh well next weekend we have four day weekend as Andrea and I both took Monday the 10th off and the 11th is a stat holiday for all three of us. It will give us an extra opportunity to try and get a shot at this guy...


or maybe




if we get really lucky then one of us will get a shot at this



Yes that is off our trail cams, all them are...til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment