Happy Thanksgiving everyone, speaking of being thankful, we
have had the camp for a year now. We actually did not head up this weekend
until Saturday morning. We needed to work on Andrea’s saltwater tank and had to
wait for new filters for the RO/Di water system. No real loss though, we made
it up before lunch. A lot of things have changed with the camp over the last
year.
We arrived on the property and noticed a few ducks on the
pond so we parked in the middle of the field. We attempted to sneak into the cattails
and bulrushes, thought maybe we could get a duck or two for Thanksgiving
dinner. No luck there but an exciting start to the weekend.
We had been talking about switching around the counters so
the sink would be under the windows, well Andrea started cooking brunch and I
started tearing things apart. Great timing I know but it all worked out really
well as I (with help of course) ripped out all the cupboards and then moved
everything around. I moved the batteries from the counter and put them under
the sink, adding two more from the boats trolling motor and rewired everything
from the charge controller off the solar panel in. I still have to bring up
some pipe next weekend to plumb in the sink drain. We also ripped out the old
enterprise cook stove that took up so much room, it was never hooked up right
and we could not get it to be useful. After moving that out we were able to
move the wood stove and run the stove pipe vertically instead of a long
horizontal run. It went all the way down to 12 degrees in the camp Sunday night
so I lit a fire Monday morning to see if that made the stove more effective. We
had debated on possibly buying a larger stove as the heat given off that last
year was minimal for the size of stove. It now appears being able to actually
draw will allow Andrea to bake my brain inside my skull…
We had bought five led light bars that really light the
place up and draw less than one of the 50 watt halogen lights we used last
year, far less drain on the batteries. We also bought a small fridge and a 750
watt inverter, it runs the fridge no problem but we are having issues getting
the batteries to recharge. I will have to bring a multi-meter next weekend to
check all the voltage levels. I am wondering if the solar panel just does not
produce enough juice through the charge controller to handle four batteries.
We also for those that do not know, wrapped the camp in
ty-wrap and sheathed it with 3/8ths plywood which we then stained. The
difference in the warmth levels is incredible, the wind does not blow through
the walls anymore so the insulation that is there can do its job. We found
interlocking rubber floor mats and have now covered most of the floor so you
can walk around comfortably in sock feet.
The idea for the weekend was to test a bunch of rifle loads,
and make sure our hunting rifles were zeroed. I plan to hunt mostly with a new
Marlin 336 in 30-30 this year, with a choice of either my 7-08AI or my 260 Rem
as my backup rifle. Andrea is going to be hunting with her 243 as always and
with her 270 Win as back up. Noah is borrowing one of my 243’s, a carbine I
bought from Doug and will have his heavy varmint rifle from last year as
backup. So after all the work was done,
Sunday afternoon we headed down to site everything in. I had also made a bunch
of test loads for a 243 I parted with, so Andrea thought she would play with
those, load #4 produced a 0.3” group. 95 grain Nosler CT BT bullets for those
that care lol. The best I managed to find with my 260 was 0.5” but that will
have to do, 140 gr Sierra Game Kings. I wonder if the 140gr might be a little
heavy for the Tikka. I will load a few this year but save the other 375 for
when I finally get my 6.5 Swede. Have to save a while for that, a stainless,
laminate Sako…I also had re-zeroed my 7-08AI last weekend as it had gone on a
cross country trip, visited a guy in AB, them found its way to my friend Doug…I
managed to bring it home like the prodigal son. Shooting the loads I had made
for it before letting it go, (used that combo to shoot that very decent Grand Manan buck
before we moved to MB). Last weekend I played with it and got it to shoot 0.72”
@ 100 in a 40+Kmh cross wind. That will work. The new Marlin from the Remington
factory is a very nice tight rifle, all the mechanical parts function very
well, the wood and checkering are decent and it shoots decent for a lever
action. Three shots into a deer style target put 3 in the vitals at a 100yds.
What they use as an excuse for bluing on these rifles is sickening but I will
oil the heck out of it and it will make a dandy bush rifle and stand rifle for
close work.
We finally put out our trail cameras last weekend, I had
pictures of three does, one a very large body, one was so curious she came into
the camera for three close-ups…
unfortunately after the last two severe winters
destroyed the deer population we are only allowed to shoot bucks with antlers
over four inches…unless they come around during the rut that could be a wish
and a prayer. We had over 20 different deer on camera last year, this year so
far three on mine and it appears one on Andrea’s that is the medium sized one I
seen on mine. We went out this morning to celebrate Thanksgiving and moved her
tree stand, her camera and cleaned up the area for some shooting lanes. We then
came back and she made me French toast, hash browns and newfie steak for
breakfast. Now we will head down and move my stand from where I shot the doe
last fall into my honey hole. I see more deer there than anywhere else on the
property, I pulled it out on the Thursday before the season ended in an attempt
to get the large buck that was crossing on the ridge, I now have a hanging
stand there so it is covered as well.
We plan to go back next weekend to hopefully play with our muzzleloaders and of course do some more target shooting. Last year we were tripping over grouse everywhere, this year nothing.
We plan to go back next weekend to hopefully play with our muzzleloaders and of course do some more target shooting. Last year we were tripping over grouse everywhere, this year nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment