Well it seems like the last ice fishing trip I will be able to make this year was a blow out success, Andrea and I actually hit the road at 06:15 and were on the ice at Pelican Lake by 08:30. Setup and fishing by 09:00 and were landing perch immediately. We were fishing a flat in eight FOW and the bite was on, poor Andrea had only been out a few times this season so it took her a few minutes to get set-up and fishing. I landed four perch before she had a line in the water but she did not take long to get going.
My flip shelter once again proved it worth, with wind chills in the -33 Degree range we ran our little buddy heater and were quite comfortable fishing with out our coats on. Although it is tight in the little flip with two people it is so much easier to setup and be fishing in minutes rather than trying to setup a tent in 30 MPH wind.
The day was wonderful, the fishing was fantastic, the sun shining bright and my wife to keep me company, hard to beat that any time of year.
Pelican Lake seems to be an interesting lake we will get to know well in the future, only a 30 minute drive from our camp, we look forward to making the place capable of being warm and comfortable in the winter so we can go spend weekends there and fish both Rock and Pelican Lakes year around. Both lakes have a plentiful supply of Perch, Walleye and Northern Pike so they will supply our reasons for "getting away" to camp when there is no hunting season to draw us up there. Our idea to purchase this property is looking better and better...
Back to the fish story, we caught fish steadily until about 12:30 when the bite changed like someone threw a blanket over the fish, I then began just opening tackle bins and proceeding to try random jigs, hard baits, tails colours etc until I found what they wanted...they wanted a tiny bright pink fish fry bodies on small bright pink jig heads...the bite was on, over the next hour I caught another 17 perch...this was quite a switch from the morning bite, I was most successful with buckshot lures in a rainbow pattern as well as a Lindy Rattlin' Flyer Spoon in the same while Andrea was using a Rattling Flyer Spoon Perch that I had done so well with last Monday and a variety of other larger jigs, lots of stuff worked well in the morning as long as it was tipped with perch eyes, after the bite switched I think we may have caught two on setups tipped with eyes, everything else was on plastics in the afternoon. Knowing we were getting ready to head home I decided to call Dad and Mom for a quick chat before we packed up, we were all chatting on speakerphone on our end and I missed a couple of bites while talking to Dad, Mom got on the phone and bang a heavy hit, Andrea took the phone while I landed the largest perch of the day. It had tangled my two lines so bad I just cut the lines, a nice fat prize to end the year. Overall we must of landed 100 + perch for the day....
We filled a large grocery bag with perch for a couple of meals, about 20 - we were actually allowed 25 each under the limit but that just seemed excessive to me. 20 perch the size we kept will actually feed the three of us two fish dinners and make a few fish patties for Andrea's lunches.
Noah had a friend over last night and I dragged the two of them out this morning to help me unload the truck...the truck has been full of ice fishing gear all winter, but it is now all in the house, garage or storage as it is done...
Off to Winnipeg in the morning, when I get home my arm will be immobilized for the next six weeks (so the Dr says LOL) but in six weeks it will be time to be getting ready for GOLF, open water fishing and working on the camp...yeah SPRING!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment