Monday, 17 February 2014

Time is Flying

When I looked and seen that I had not posted anything in over a week I was shocked, I guess I have been busier than I realized. Mostly fishing except the weekends, we were planning to go to Pelican Lake last weekend but that never worked out.

Backing up a little in time: I mentioned in my last post I had gotten a Frabil ultra light combo in exchange for the Abu Garcia that broke. One fish, a 10" crappie told me that combo was junk, I took it back that afternoon. The young lady working the customer service desk at Canadian Tire said wow they should not do that,should they when I showed her how the drag jumped 1/2  a turn a pop..I ended up giving up on that and taking a Fenwick Elite Tech Ultralight rod and mounting an Ugly Ice reel I had and going with that. Over 20 fish later and I am thoroughly impressed with the Fenwick...

I have been fishing a few times now in the last week, a couple of days I went out for the afternoon and managed to get one or two crappie. Thursday was a harsh day weather wise so I skipped fishing and played around the house.

Friday I hooked up with Josh and we fished Minnie again, I got one 11" crappie and he got two real little ones, he really wanted to get a third, as he said another one the size of the first two and he would catch up to me..(they really were not that bad.)

Noah had no school Monday so I dragged him to Pelican Lake for the day. We were actually set up and fishing by 10 AM (much later than I wanted but such is life) By 1030 I had iced four Perch and then the bite slowed down, it took a good part of that time to figure out what they were going to bite, none of my traditional perch stuff worked but I got them biting on this http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/productdetail.aspx?id=rattlnflyerspoon.

Once the bite slowed down I figured it was time to pull out one of my friend Doug's tricks and popped out a fresh perch eye and hooked that up to a jig from my multi pack that is similar to this
http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/productdetail.aspx?id=techniglogenzworm

I ended the day with about 20 perch, Noah grudgingly actually caught two, the first came after I slipped a perch eye on his jig he was dead sticking and got nailed...the second came after I went to remove the ice from the hole he was fishing and made the jig move, the flaskher showed fish immediately so I told him to grab the rod and he lifted a bit and hammered another one about 11". That was the extent of his interest, unfortunate as he has the potential to be a great fisherman. I caught a few more over the afternoon and we brought home a nice feed.

Perhaps though the most satisfying part of the day was meeting a retired farmer who was very new to ice fishing, he had an auger with no extension so he drilled as deep as he could then I finished his holes with mine. He had a hummingbird flasher that he had no idea how to setup so I showed him how to set that up. He was not catching anything so I gave him a couple of perch eyes and he had a jig similar to the one I was using, by the time I left he had caught three and was planning on more...kind of neat.


No comments:

Post a Comment