Sunday, 12 January 2014

Warmer Weather – January Thaw or Just a Tease

      Thursday ushered in a long awaited spell of day time highs in the single digit minus Celsius range…it had been reported on the local radio station that we had basically been suffering from abnormally cold temperatures since mid-October. Not that I keep a record but from what I remember of the pond at our hunt camp, it was froze over early October so that would seem to make sense. I guess Sharon went home just in time.

After suffering through a stomach flu for the bulk of Christmas and New Year’s, Andrea and I had become caught up in a large amount of chores to get cleaned up. Right before Christmas her custom pantry had arrived and I installed that and prepared the trim for her to stain. Between the packaging for her pantry, her fish tank and various other Christmas presents my side of the garage was overflowing with cardboard, even broken down it was an impressive pile. I was backing my truck into her side of the garage as soon as she left for work Thursday morning and started filling the back of the truck. It literally filled the back of the truck to overflowing and I was glad to get that dropped off. There was a pile of other chores that needed attended too as well so that encompassed my Thursday morning.

After a nice lunch with Andrea, I headed to Morden’s famous Lake Minnewasta to chase crappies for the afternoon and to trial my new ice shack if required. I started to fish in 10 FOW (feet of water) and was marking fish like crazy, there were crappie everywhere on my flasher but I could not entice a bite no matter what I put in the water, I tried every type of jig, tail and scent I could muster over the course of several hours and nothing. I moved to deeper water, 17 FOW, this time and tried again, the fish were not as plentiful but were active the same as the other depth, they would come in to the flasher cone as soon as a presentation was dropped into the water and investigate it, even follow it up the water column for up to five feet and then take off. No amount of teasing to this point would entice a bite. As dark set in I packed up and headed home, these crappie have so much natural forage there is no need for them to take a jig and although I am “trying to match the hatch” no luck so far. There is a chance that small minnows may work, if I can I will try some Tuesday. My ice shack had proven to be perfect, although the temperature had reached -8, there was a stiff wind blowing across the lake and the new flip helter proved to be the perfect solution, the bulk of the afternoon I spent just using the flip as a wind break, fishing in a pair of jeans. I did after the sun started to set take the extra minute and extend the poles and take complete shelter. It is a rather simple affair to use and provides a plethora of space for angling, hard to beat that.

Friday morning saw me leaving as Andrea headed to work, I headed to a place known locally as Patterson Pits, it is known to have very large Rainbow trout, and also has Asian Carp and suckers. The depth is varied as can be expected from a working drag line pit but is at least 75 feet at its deeper portion. I was headed across the ice hauling my new flip sled by hand…not the easiest through the deep snow but worked really well on the packed snow and ice. Shortly after drilling holes trying to find the right water depth I had to setup the shelter as it started to pour freezing rain. After a couple of hours of freezing rain it quickly switched to wet snow for a few minutes as the sun struggled to break through. Another day fishing and seeing fish on the flasher with no bites, oh well it beats sitting around the house.
Andrea and I spent this weekend just hanging around together and having fun. I am heading to Lockport, North of Winnipeg early Monday morning to meet up with Rebel, we are going to try and catch something, might only be sauger but I really need to feel a fish on the end of my line…I have caught nothing since the trip to Lake Metigoshe, speaking of which I had a note from Josh today that he went back there yesterday, caught one blue gill a few perch and pike so not great there either…

Still running a skunk with the new Abu Garcia I got for Christmas, if we get on some sauger tomorrow I might break it out and see how much fun those 16 – 20 inch fish are on an ultralight rig with 2lb test in the heavy current of the Red River…if we get into Walleye it will stay in the rod case…

So the next report will be about my trip with Rebel…

No comments:

Post a Comment